Benefits of NPS
- Flexible- NPS offers a range of investment options and choice of Pension Funds (PFs) for planning the growth of the investments in a reasonable manner and monitor the growth of the pension corpus. Subscribers can switch over from one investment option to another or from one fund manager to another.
Simple – Opening an account with NPS provides a Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN), which is a unique number and it remains with the subscriber throughout his lifetime. The scheme is structured into two tiers:
- Tier-I account: This is the non-withdrawable permanent retirement account into which the regular contributions made by the subscriber are credited and invested as per the portfolio/fund manager chosen of the subscriber.
- Tier-II account: This is a voluntary withdrawable account which is allowed only when there is an active Tier I account in the name of the subscriber. The withdrawals are permitted from this account as per the needs of the subscriber as and when required.
- Portable- NPS provides seamless portability across jobs and across locations. It would provide hassle-free arrangement for the individual subscribers while he/she shifts to the new job/location, without leaving behind the corpus build, as happens in many pension schemes in India.
- Well Regulated- NPS is regulated by PFRDA, with transparent investment norms, regular monitoring and performance review of fund managers by NPS Trust. The account maintenance costs under NPS are the lowest as compared to similar pension products across the globe. While saving for a long-term goal such as retirement, the cost matters a lot as the charges can shave off a significant amount from the corpus over 35-40 years of investment period.
- Dual benefit of Low Cost and Power of compounding: Till the retirement, pension wealth accumulation grows over the period of time with a compounding effect. The account maintenance charges being low, the benefit of accumulated pension wealth to the subscriber eventually become large.
- Ease of Access: The NPS account is manageable online. An NPS account can be opened through the eNPS portal. Further contributions can be also be made online through the following eNPS portals of CRAs: NSDL CRAKfintech CRACAMS CRA
- Once the PRAN account is opened, an online login id and password is provided to the subscriber. He/she can login and view/manage his NPS account online, over a click.